It’s no surprise to anyone who knows me that I preach that you have to attend to your marriage, first and foremost. If you aren’t working on your marriage then you’re working on your divorce. We get so busy thinking we take care of the one we love most every day, but in reality, cleaning house, cooking dinner and doing laundry is not growing your relationship in a way that allows you a deeper connection. After a while, your spouse can start to feel taken for granted as well as lonely.
Showing your spouse appreciation can be rewarding for both of you. You should also take time to know your spouse’s love language. For me it’s acts of service. For Michael , it’s physical touch. Keep those in mind when planning out random acts of kindness. You want them to feel loved and appreciated. It might inspire your spouse to do something kind and unexpected for you. An unexpected act of love and kindness can go a long way to making sure your sweetheart has a great day.
Random Acts Of Kindness To Surprise Your Spouse
- Has your spouse talked about something they really want to do but hasn’t made plans for yet? Make the arrangements and take them on a surprise outing. Can’t find a sitter or does your spouse need some respite? Present them with tickets or plans for a special day “just because.”
- What are some of the things you enjoyed doing when you were dating? If your spouse appreciates romantic gestures, show them you still have it in you. Make a playlist their favorite songs, send flowers, or write them a love letter.
- Is there a project your spouse hasn’t gotten around to yet because they haven’t had time? Is it something that you are able to take care of for them? Show them you care by taking care of it and easing their burden.
- Surprise your spouse by preparing their favorite dinner and dessert, or stop on the way home to pick up their favorite take out.
- Leave unexpected love notes hidden for them to find. Hide them in their briefcase, lunch bag, or favorite book. We often take our loved ones for granted and neglect to tell them how much they mean to us. Show your appreciation with a little note of love. Send a random text in the middle of the day just to say you love them.
- Give your spouse a foot rub. Long days, especially if they’re on their feet all day, can be tiring. There is nothing quite as wonderful as a foot rub when your feet are tired and aching. Prepare a foot soak with Epsom salts and give them a foot massage to help them relax. They’ll sleep great and wake up refreshed and energized!
- Does your spouse pack their own lunch? Why not surprise them by packing it for them? Pack their favorite lunch and a special treat. Don’t forget to add a love note to the bag!
There are so many ways to show your spouse that you care, and each one will make them feel loved and appreciated. In a world where autism can be overwhelming or the main focus, you have to make a special effort to keep your marriage intact.