With all the late season rhubarb filling up people’s allotments, now is the perfect time for turning it into jam, pie and cake. Here is my never fail recipe for rhubarb cake:
- 140g butter substitute (I use Pure) or 150g butter
- 300g self-raising flour (or substitute same amount of self raising gluten free flour)
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 piece of grated fresh ginger root (approx 3cm long) or 1 tbsp dried ginger
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 250g brown caster sugar or golden syrup
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100ml boiled water (increase to 200ml if using butter and / or gluten free flour)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 300g rhubarb cut into short lengths
- Heat oven to 200 or 180 (fan assisted) / gas mark 4 and put kettle on. Grease and line a square or round 20cm cake tin.
- Beat butter substitute, sugar and ginger until smooth, light and fluffy. Dissolve bicarbonate of soda in the boiled water and add to the mixing bowl stirring until blended.
- Mix in the flour and add eggs, mixing briefly.
- Stir in rhubarb
- Pour batter into prepared tin and bake for approx 50 mins or until tester comes away clean.
Store in a an airtight container (like your belly).