10 things about our Zoombezibay (water park attached to our local zoo) trip that were notable today!!
1. Sahara can wait in line without prompting or support !! When did this self control and awareness happen?
2. Self advocacy Rocks.. she verbally asked the life guards the rules and corresponded with many of the lifeguards about how she was feeling and what she was doing.
3. Sahara’ gross motor skills improved… as demonstrated by her deliberate moves on the rope course.
4. Okay…. Nuerotypcial kids sometimes push my buttons… where are the manners of children today!?! Cutting lines. Staring. Pushing. Yes, My Mama Bear flared a bit.
5. Can a water park be too wet? Holy splashing and spraying and squirting in the new kids area… which tells us that sensory issues are resolved. TY Young Living!!
6. EPIC — Sahara went down the big water slides in the double raft with me…. HOLY COW!! I have put this off for 3 years bc of communication barriers and core strength issues. She screamed, “We are going to dieeeee!!” The whole way!! When we got to the end she said, “Emily, that was so cool!!”
7. When you see a child have a meltdown, staring does not help. Nor does reporting the parent to security…. apparently we need more awareness in our community. Bc someone apparently thinks me standing near my child, talking softly, making sure there is no self injurious behavior or danger near by… is questionable behavior. After I explained to the security gal that she was having an autistic meltdown, she smiled and walked away… but the woman who reported me stood there glaring at me.. really!?!?! Because a screaming and crying child is so novel?
8. Said meltdown was precipitated by a mock drowning in the wave pool…. training lifeguards, which freaked her out… writing them a letter to better make the public with impressionable children and concrete thinking children can be removed from that scene!!
9. Thank God for YL Lavender Essential Oil…. used on Emily’s bruises she acquired while chasing Sahara during the meltdown. And again used in the car… to which she stopped screaming within 2 minutes of Emily wafting it to the back seat.
10. Finally, I have the patience of a saint…. taking an autie and an aspie who are over tired to the water park.