10 Things I Don’t Say About Autism But Want To
1. Please stop asking if I’m like Rain Man. No, I’m not. And I do not count cards.
2. I suck at math; savants are rare and I’m not one of them.
3. Staring at person who is obviously stressed out and are covering their ears is rude. (I thought *I* was the one who had bad social skills…)
4. On another note, quit staring at a parent with a kid in meltdown mode; if you want to say something; say “Can I help?”.
5. Don’t assume I can’t hear you when I’m with somebody else. I can, and I’m an adult. Please address me, even if I seem “odd”. Sometimes I just need a little help.
6. I’m not stupid; it takes me longer to learn some things.
7. When I hurt your feelings, tell me! I don’t know I did.
8. Please, please don’t pat me on the back; especially on my left side. It scares me, I can’t see you and dislike it.
9. When I ask you to repeat yourself, I am trying to make sure I heard you correctly.
10. I try to say things that interest you, but can’t tell if it’s boring you. Say something, or I won’t stop.