One of the most exciting things that you’ll get to do when you renovate is to plan it all yourself. You get to plan your designs and make sure that your budget is on point. You also get to minimize the stress of the renovation because you are the one in charge, whether you are renovating for a move or just for fun, you need help.
When you are planning your own home remodel, you have a lot to think about. This could be the first time that you ever do this and hopefully, it won’t be the last. With the right planning, you can make sure that your renovation goes off without a hitch. With that in mind, let’s look at six things that you need to know before you go ahead with your new project.
- Research Your Contractors Thoroughly. You need to choose a contractor that you can rely on and that means doing enough research to ensure that you have the right person working with you. You need to dig deep into the reviews and opinions of those the contractor has helped before, and then you need to remember that they have a license and certification – ask for those numbers.
- Be Inspired. Your project needs to be mapped out carefully and when it is, you can see it all come to life in front of your eyes. You need to have a plan because then you can keep your eyes on the prize and see your renovation through to the end. You need to have a goal because your project can be on task the entire time.
- Make Decisions On Appliances. Appliances can take up a lot of your budget, and you can think about whether you want to take your broken washer, fix it yourself, and install it again, or you can buy a whole new range of appliances for your new space. It’s a good idea to make a list and get to know what you need for your kitchen space.
- Have A Back-Up Budget. You have a figure in mind for your budget and your renovation and now hideaway a few thousand more dollars. This is your wiggle room and you need it just in case you need to choose different fixtures and fittings. You have to have a back up in the budget to cover you if things get a little out of hand cost-wise.
- Get To Know Your Limits. You may decide to chip in on your renovation before things get started, and do some of the legwork yourself. However, there are some things that you need to leave to the professionals. Your electrics are certainly one area you shouldn’t touch without help!
- Get Ready For Dirt. The house is going to get dusty and dirty and you have to prepare yourself for that. You want dust sheets out and over the furniture, and you need to think about some masks or more coverings for the rest of the house.
Before you get your renovation on, you need to think about these six things!